CourageousHR newsletter - why HR needs to be more results drivenby
Moving up a gear – Why HR needs to be more results driven
Driving up to a major road junction during rush hour is bad enough but when you’re lost, panic can set in as one wrong move and you could potentially be going round a one-way system for eternity! However, our sense is that many HR Professionals will do almost anything to ensure they are never lost, are very clear what route they are taking and what their end destination is!
Yet, research after research shows that the world of work is now so unpredictable and volatile that past remedies and old practices are no longer suitable nor adequate to address the new and emerging challenges. What is required is a shift in attitude and outlook by HR towards being results driven, not input or process driven.
This Newsletter focuses on how HR can deliver value that is uniquely created by HR (i.e. without HR it would not have occurred) as we believe this is the best way to make sure HR has a worthwhile future.
Strategic HR – Set your sights high
1. If HR disappeared tomorrow would your organisation miss you? Unless you can identify and (constantly) communicate what your distinctive HR contribution is, we believe that many non-HR managers would assume that HR's responsibilities could simply be done by other functions. Distinctive contribution i.e. value that is uniquely created by HR, will mean different things to different managers but the first step is to identify what it means to your organisation.
2. To explore how HR can become results driven and make a distinctive contribution download HR needs to create more business value.
Measuring HR - How good are you at driving through great results?
3. Quality HR Professionals recognise that it is people who provide the competitive advantage for their organisation. Those HR Professionals are motivated to work with the business to ensure their HR strategies and solutions maximise organisational results. In other words, they provide HR solutions which are led by business need and informed by ‘great-HR-practices’.
4. To work out how effective your HR measures are and what you can do to link them more closely to business results download What gets measured gets done.
Practical HR – Want to get better at being in the driving seat?
5. How does HR ensure it has the right focus, energy and outputs to achieve the desired business results? Oddly enough, it is not necessarily about ‘what’ HR does which will determine how successful it is in achieving its results, rather it is ‘how’ it goes about delivering results which is the key to success!
6. To find out how good you are (or what you can do to become even better) at driving through results, try out our exercise How to get better at driving through results.
7. HR pride or prejudice? At the recent SHRM conference in Las Vegas the 14,000 HR delegates were encouraged to buy T-shirts which boldly stated “I love HR”!! Wow – is this something peculiar to North Americans? Interesting point though - would you be proud to wear such a T-Shirt and what would the reaction be of your business leaders?
8. In next months’ Newsletter we will be exploring how HR can become proud of what it does so make sure you look out for it in your inbox. In the meantime check out our latest series of blogs which are focusing on practical things you can do to stand out and make a difference.
9. At CourageousHR we specialise in providing practical and ground breaking HR Training which will immediately make you better at your job. We are always updating and refining our training programmes so if you haven’t looked at what is on offer click HR Training to find out more.
Join the HR revolution and keep us in touch with what you are doing.
<Downloads have been achieved. If you'd like to have a copy, please contact us>