CourageousHR Newsletter - Go on, be a risk takerby
Driving up to a major road junction during rush hour is bad enough but when you’re lost, panic can set in as one wrong move and you could potentially be going round a one-way system for eternity! It seems that many business leaders feel HR panics when it finds itself in new territory – too often HR Professionals will do almost anything to stay on their pre-set course at a steady pace irrelevant of whether the business has changed direction or overtaken them!
Yet, research after research shows that the world of work is now so unpredictable and volatile that past remedies and old practices are no longer suitable nor adequate to address the new and emerging challenges facing organisations. What is required is a shift in attitude and outlook by HR to recognise that being efficient and effective at the transactional and tactical level is no longer good enough.
Therefore, this Newsletter challenges you to set your sets higher than last year, trust yourself and your HR colleagues more and start breaking old habits by being open to and taking more risks.
Strategic HR – HR – dare to be different
1. When business leaders come to HR they are looking for ……? So what does HR do, what does it offer and more importantly are we offering the right stuff? Unless or until HR is able to demonstrate a clear purpose and is able to demonstrate the value it brings to organisational success, HR will always be playing catch-up and trying to please the big bosses rather than being partners.
2. To find out how you can get closer to the business and deliver stunning results download HR- Dare to be different.
Measuring HR – What is your business case for change?
3. If your Business Director asked you to put together a business case for the HR changes you want to implement do you know where you would start?
4. If you want to have a go at working out what your business case for change could be then we suggest you consider some of key questions we ask our clients in Building the business case for HR restructuring is not always easy
Practical HR – Want to get better at being in the driving seat?
5. How does HR ensure it has the right focus, energy and outputs to achieve the desired business results? First of all, it is not necessarily about ‘what’ HR does which will determine how successful it is in achieving its results. Rather it is ‘how’ it goes about delivering results which is the key to its success!
6. To find out how good you are (or put it another way what you can do to become even better) at driving through results try out our exercise How to get better at driving through results.
7. Being an HR professional is no easy task. We know, we’ve been there, got the t-shirt, seen the sights, and fought the battles. But sometimes there are little things that can make a difference. Like taking pride in being in HR.
8. Therefore, the next time you’re down, hammered by the latest performance management process or the salary review, take a step back and remember, without you .... in fact what would happen if HR didn’t exist? To find out more about why YOU are indispensable to the business take a look at our blogs and get inspired!
9. At CourageousHR we specialise in providing practical and ground breaking HR Training which will immediately make you better at your job. We are always updating and refining our training programmes so if you haven’t looked at what is on offer click HR Training to find out more.
<Downloads have been achieved. If you'd like to have a copy, please contact us>